Saturday, May 15, 2010

Mac N' Cheese

When Killian was born, I decided I needed to learn how to cook, because I want the best for him. And after learning to cook, my relationship with food changed drastically. I discovered I LOVE cooking, and that I have a new outlook on life. I believe home cooked meals made with whole, local foods with as little processed foods as possible is the best thing for our bodies. And I cherish meal times with Killian.
Anyways... I've discovered that I'm not an amazing cook. If I was married, my husband wouldn't go around bragging about my cooking, and I'm no Bree Hodge, but my meals are tasty, healthy, and good enough for Killian and I.
However, there is one thing that I'm AMAZING at, that Killian will ask for 3rd/4th helpings of... Mac N' Cheese. And no, it's not from a box (though I'll admit that once a month I buy Annie's Deluxe mac n' cheese in a box), but my homemade mac n' cheese is SOO simple and SOO good. I originally got the recipe from Laura at Heavenly Homemakers, but I've altered it quite a bit.
I don't cook my pasta in milk, though it does make it creamy. So what's my recipe. Well here it is for my readers:

Pasta (whole wheat is best for you, but of course white tastes best. I mix both together) - Cook.. elbow noodles or spiral noodles work best
While the pasta is cooking, shred cheddar cheese into a bowl (I like to use medium because it gives you a little more OOMPF)- I use about 1 cup for 2 servings of pasta (1.5 cups of pasta)- but you can experiment with how much cheese you use. I normally don't measure it out, I just keep shredding until it looks good. Also add a little Parmesan cheese (about 1/4 cup).. and REAL Parmesan, not the powdered stuff. Add a small slice of butter and a little bit of milk (about 1/8 cup of milk)
When the pasta is done, strain and add straight into the cheese mix (it has to be hot in order to melt the cheese and butter)
Mix it all up... if the cheese isn't completely melted, stick the bowl in the microwave or oven to melt the cheese completely. Add a few sprinkles of salt for taste.
THAT'S IT! So simple and SOO yummy. I often add some veggies too like steamed broccoli or carrots when in season.
For another version, you can do all of the above, then preheat the oven 350, put the mac n cheese into a pan, and crush some cheese crackers (I use Annie's Cheddar Bunnies since we always have them in the house), and sprinkle them on top. Bake for about 10-15 min. Mix in a little more milk and cheese so it's not dried out.

Let me know if any of you try it out, and what you think. I know Killian's a BIG fan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment