Saturday, April 24, 2010

Killian's Blankie

I've always loved writing, and I've been told I have a knack for it. Cheerios is having a children's book contest for unpublished authors. SO...  I thought I'd enter. I'll probably enter multiple stories, but here's one that I finished up today. I'm sure you can all figure out who it's written for :)
Sitting on his mama’s lap, Killian explained why his blankie couldn’t go into the special box.
“Mama, it’s not just a blankie that I love when I’m sad. No, it’s my pirate ship sail. See?”

And all day long Killian’s blankie was his pirate ship sail. It caught the gusts of wind and blew him to a treasure island and back again, just in time for supper and bed.

The next morning, Killian woke up to a surprise. His mama had sewn him a pirate ship sail from an old sheet. She sat him down and said, “Killian, now blankie doesn’t need to be the pirate ship sail anymore. It’s time for blankie to go into your special box.”

But Killian told her, “But mama, blankie isn’t just a blanket that I love when I’m sad. No, it’s my superhero cape too. See?”

And all day long Killian’s blankie was a superhero cape. It flew him around the city, where he helped women carry in groceries, clean up the house, and rescue cats from trees, and his cape brought him back home again just in time for supper and bed.

The next morning, Killian woke up to another surprise. His mama had sewn him a bright blue superhero cap, with a gold K on the back. She sat him down and said, “Killian, now blankie doesn’t need to be a superhero cape anymore. It’s time for blankie to go into your special box.”

And Killian started to cry, snuggling up to his mom. He told her, “But mama, blankie isn’t just a blanket that I love when I’m sad, or a pirate ship sail, or a superhero cape. No, blankie is my comfort. He smells like you and our house. If I’m scared or I miss you, I can snuggle him up to my face, breathe in, and I know everything’s going to be ok. So blankie can’t go into the special box.”

Killian’s mama held him tight to her and rocked him back and forth for a long time. Then she spoke, “Killian, if you are scared, sad, or you miss me, you can close your eyes and imagine my face. You can imagine my smell and our house. Then you will know that everything will be ok, because you know how much I love you.”

Killian was quiet for a long time. He had his eyes closed and was imagining his mother’s smiling face and open arms. He breathed in and imagined her smell. He was sad to see blankie go, but he knew that he was old enough to do it.

The next day Mama and Killian took down his special box that contained all the special parts of his life, like his first shirt and his first shoes. Killian snuggled blankie into his face, took a deep breath, and put blankie inside gently. He whispered good-bye to his friend who had been his comfort when he was sad, his pirate ship sail and his superhero cape.


Leave your thoughts about changes? Dislikes, likes :)

1 comment:

  1. love it:-) So cute!
    I would make 2 changes-
    I would add another "blankie is" I think three would be perfect...... maybe a parachute or a fort or a sleeping bag for camping.

    I would change the way killian talks- he is reasoning at a teenage level. make him sound more "childish."
    otherwise i think it sounds great! I especially like- just in time for dinner and bed.

    ReplyDelete