Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Little Joys

So I spent a few hours doing something that I should do much more often.. playing with Killian. I think a lot of mothers can agree that there's always something else that seems to need to get done instead of playing with a little one. Well, I decided to take some time today and play with him. Well, I learned so many things about him (and got a work out :) ). Here are a few funny things that my little monkey did tonight:
1. Applied make-up to my lips, eyes, and cheeks :)
2. Gave me a leg, arm, and foot massage (yes, I've been trying to teach him how to do this with lotion for months now.. and he finally caught on )
3. While reading a book, he pointed to a picture of chocolate, and when I said "chocolate", he said choclo and ran into the kitchen and opened the drawer that USED to contain chocolate :)
4. He got his first ever hiccups, and cried hysterically
5. He blew raspberries on my tummy.. totally his idea too
6. He tried desperately to jump in the air.. but crouching down, and springing his knees up, waving his arms.
Something I learned about myself:
Some large motor skills such as kart wheels.. are use it or lose it kind of skills. I thought they were procedural memories like riding a bike.. NOPE.
Any way.. I wanted to share this experience  in hopes of encouraging someone else to spend some 'nothing to do but play with you' time with your little one. I know that there ALWAYS is something else that needs to be done (especially being a single mother with school).. but it's good for you and your child. I have to say that it destressed me to let everything go and just laugh with Killian. :)

2 comments:

  1. His first hiccups! Brode got them ALL the time when I was pregnant with him, and until he was about a year he got them multiple times a day! Any time he laughs hard he gets them! That is so funny that Killian was not comfortable with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha.. Killian almost never moved in my belly, much less got hiccups :) He was laughing hysterically when he got the hiccups. :) I know, at first I thought he was in a lot of pain because he was crying like someone was stabbing him! Such a drama boy! :)

    ReplyDelete