Saturday, January 30, 2010

Successful Chicken nuggets!!!

So- I made the chicken nuggets, and they were AMAZING!!! So here are photos and helpful hints/tips if you're thinking about making your own. Get the recipe here.
Ok.. so first off, I cut the recipe in half, using one chicken breast of a little over 1/2 lb. Really, I still had extra beet puree and breadcrumbs, so I think you could make a lb of chicken nuggets with half the recipe. Anyways..

Here's a photo of all my ingredients ready to go (and yes, I defrosted the chicken in the microwave, and accidentally cooked some of it, oops):
So, I just added the egg right away in with the beet puree- however, since I cut the recipe in half, I only used the egg whites. I suggest using the whole egg, because the yolk would probably help hold it all together better. Also, instead of flax seed, I added whole wheat flour; and instead of onion powder, I added minced dried onions. Those subsitutions worked just fine. Here are the chicken nuggets on the stove:
 
As you can see, the nuggets are very red from the beets. I thought this was pretty neat for Valentine's Day, but this summer I'm growing white beets, and those will be perfect for nuggets that I want to be brown. :)
Here's a photo of the nuggets after being flipped-- as you can see, they do turn a little bit more brown:

 
So while the red color is pretty cool... it is a little more difficult to figure out if the chicken is cooked through. I used the feel of the knife cutting through to judge. But if your more worried, then use a different veggie puree or white beet puree.
Here's my last photo of the chicken nuggets on my plate. They were a little weird shaped from my cutting up the chicken, but I ate them so fast I didn't notice :)


I recommend you try making these for your family!

2 comments:

  1. mmm these look good. Could you taste the beet flavor? I will def try these this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I couldn't taste the beets at all! Killian was a big fan too. :)

    ReplyDelete