Sunday, January 17, 2010

Whole Food Eating

So I want to take some time to talk about something a little different, though still very much something that is in my life every day. Eating and cooking.

Last summer, I decided that I not only wanted to start cooking and eating with whole, natural, organic foods, but to also try to each seasonally and locally. At first, I never thought I'd be able to make the switch, but by doing it one meal at a time, and only one meal a week, then two, etc., I now find myself cooking and eating this way without much more work.

I'm going to start including recipes, tips, and everything else that I find helpful on here, so that anyone who has been thinking about making this switch will have a little help.

When Killian and I made this switch, I felt the difference within a few weeks. Getting away from processed foods as much as possible has made me feel healthier. And, as it turns out, cooking has become a beloved hobby. :)

So.. what do I do? Well, for starters, in the spring/summer, I purchase a CSA, a Community Sponsored Agriculture, in which I pay the farmer in the spring, and in the summer and fall, I get a share of the crops. From this, I learned how to cook using the whole fruit/veggie, how to prepare veggies in many different, delicious ways, and how to store these fruits and veggies so that we could enjoy them year-round.
In addition, I started to look at the everyday food items we eat, such as cheese and yogurt, and find ways of making it at home. This not only cuts down on the processing and preservatives, but on the impact on the environment as well. Have you ever looked at where your food is grown, shipped, packaged, and then shipped again? The amount of energy used just for you to get your food is outrageous. Anyways, I've found many easy ways of making food items at home.
1. I make my own mozzarella. It only takes 30 min., and is a delicious treat. You can buy the cultures here.
2. I bought a yogurt maker, and with only a tablespoon (or two) of plain yogurt and a few cups of milk, you can have wonderful homemade yogurt in 8-10 hours.
3. I bought a bread machine (off of craigslist for 5$!!! Look for deals people), and it only takes about 10 min. to set up, pour all my ingredients in, and I let the machine do the rest!
I have many, many other toys for the kitchen that help make my quest for whole, nutritious, homemade food easier, but I'll discuss those as the time goes by.
If you're interested in reading some WONDERFUL books about eating seasonally and locally, I suggest these (in order)
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingslover
The Ominvore's Dilemma by Michael Pollon
In Defense of Food by Michael Pollon
I always suggest books on CD if you, like me, spend time in the car during a commute. I find that I 'read' more books this way. :) All are available at your local library as well.
Hope everyone has a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment