Thursday, January 28, 2010

Recipe Post

So.. I'd like to post at least one recipe a week that has local/seasonal foods in it. Of course, right now the only things that are seasonal in wisconsin are those that have been frozen from the summer/fall. But, those are the things that I'm using. So.. here's one:
I just bought this cookbook: Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. While I don't agree with her philosophy of hiding fruits in veggies inside meals- I'm more of a, teach kids to like veggies kind of mom- there really is no reason NOT to put them into your meals to add nutrients/vitamins. Anyways, here's a recipe that I'm going to try this weekend, and I'll let you know how it is. All of her recipes call for a fruit or veggie puree. To make the puree, you simply steam/cook the veggie/fruit until its very tender. Then, throw it into a blender/food processor with a little water. Just like when you make baby food.

Chicken Nuggets:
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup flaxseed meal
1 tbls grated parmesan (please use real parmesan whenever you make anything!)
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 cup broccoli or spinach or sweet potato or beet puree (I'll be using beet)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 pound bonless, skinless chicken breast/chicken tenders, rinsed, dried and cut into small chunks
1/2 tsp salt
nonstick cooking spray
1 tbls olive oil

In bowl, combine breadcrumbs, flaxseed meal, parmesan, paprika, garlic, and onion powder. In another bowl, mix vegetable puree and egg with fork. Sprinkle chicken chunks with salt, dip chunks into egg mixture and toss them in breadcrumbs until completely coated. Coat large nonstick skillet (if you have nonstick skillet like I do, I dont think that this is necessary), and set over medium-high heat. When skillet is hot, add oil. Place chicken nuggets in skillet in single layer- be careful not to crowd the pan. Cook until crisp and golden on one side (3-4 min). Turn and cook until chicken is cooked through, golden brown and crisp all over (4-5 min longer). Cut into a piece to check that it's cooked through.

Now... when I make this either tom. or this weekend, I wont add the paprika (simply because I dont have it in the house), and may replace the flaxseed with wheatgerm, if I find out they're similar.

I'm excited to try these because while Killian will eat three huge beets in one sitting, I am NOT a fan. However, beets are FULL of anti-oxidants and folic acid. So hopefully I'll be a fan of the beets. :)

Please let me know if anyone uses this recipe, and what you and/or your kids think. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment